Wednesday 12 May 2010

Bird dumfing - how do you do WOYWW!!

Good morning everyone. Thanks for dropping in. I am working backwards today because I wanted to show you my promised tutorial before I show you the state of my room.

For all those interested in my dumfy birds - a few pics to show you how I do it.
On fun day Monday with Wipso, I set out my Clover pad ( little brush) my Clover needlepunch ( 5 felting, barbed needles that bounce up and down on a springy thing inside the holder), single barbed felting needle, wool rovings, green dyed pre-felt and a piece of white felt.






I decided that a little bullfinch would be an ideal bird to dumf on a small scale as it is a compact little bird with lots of colour.

I found a couple of pictures to help me get the shape and colour right.
I cut the main pieces from felt and set them on the Clover pad ( using white felt to protect the brush so that it doesn't get clogged with fluff).



Then, using my needle punch, I started dumfing pieces of white wool roving onto the main pink body part. The 5 barbed needles move up and down as I push the punch, forcing white wool fibres down into the pink felt.






Slowly the little bird took shape as I added more coloured wool rovings.

Sometimes I use a single needle to push the wool into the right shape.





I have to keep easing up from the white felt piece so that it doesn't get dumfed onto it.


The main colours are on and I can I lift it off the white felt, ready to dumf it onto the background piece of green randomly dyed pre-felt.






The bird is now dumfed onto the background and I have added a piece of chunky brown yarn for a branch and twisted some grey wool for the legs.




All that is left to do is to create the leaves and blossom, beak and bead eye.
The leaves are just small pieces of gorgeous wool roving that we bought from Sara on our Wonderwool day out.
The blossom is made from scraps of pink silk and rovings.

The picture is about 12cm square.





To finish it off, I mounted it on some pale linen and stretched it over a square board to make the 20cm square picture.


This is the 8th dumfy bird so far.

This one can go in our blog shop, I think.





Now for all you WOYWWers who just want to peek at the state of my room........
OK - its a mess - but it will be tidy soon and then I can pop all those new brooches in the blog shop! (You can see them in the middle of the table)
Now, I am going to check out Julia's blog and a few of the 120 other WOYWWers - apologies if I don't get to leave comments for all of you but I do enjoy popping in and having a sneaky peek at what you are all up to. Thanks to Julia for making it all possible!

51 comments:

Helen said...

Hi. your work is amazing today (well, always)
We're all getting so early, we'll be desking on tuesdays soon!!

Joey said...

Hiya

your desk looks like it is going to be busy lol, I am amazed at how you make your creations, DUH I thought you followed a pattern, but you just follow an image for guidance, amazing! love it :O)

Joey.xxx

Hazel (Didos) said...

WOW your bird is amazing, what a brill talent you have. Thanks for the tutorial, Love Hazelxox

Powerful Search Engine said...

Amazing work and thanks for sharing the technique. Hugs Pascale

Hello, I'm Vicki said...

wow that is a BUSY table, but everything looks good. love the bird xx

Lothian Crafts said...

Love the bird thanks for telling us how you create it.

Kathy said...

oh oh oh oh! he's absolutely adorable!

Unknown said...

You make it look very easy this is a beautiful bird

Love Dawn xx

Gez Butterworth said...

Hi Jo it's so lovely of you to show us how your bird comes together. It is truly a work of art. So, so beautiful. :) amazing.xx
Hope you have a lovely day. Hugs, Gez.xx

Tracey said...

Fab to see how it's done and such a pretty bird, hope your having a lovely day.
x

Unknown said...

OMG - is there nothing you can't do... and do well????

You constantly and never fail to amaze me with your talent - I really think you birds are jaw droppingly brilliant.... I would love to have an ounce of your talent... please could you put some in a jar and send to me!!! LOL

Paula x x x

Liverpool Lou (Anne) said...

Thanks for the tutorial, the bullfinch is gorgeous :)
Anne x

Hels Sheridan said...

Oh, so that is how you do it... thanks for the how to... I would never be able to make anything so gorgeously divine as that though...tis beautiful hun x

Becky Cornish said...

Those birds are amazing what talent you have ,, thanks for the tutorial , have a good week

Becky

HeARTworks said...

Wow! Last week i didn't know what dumfing was and now I see how it's done. The first picture i confess didn't look promising but I was wowed at the results! Beautiful! Patsy from
HeARTworks

Annie said...

What a fab show and tell sis. Can't wait to see the picture for real.
A x

Rosie said...

Triffic tutorial, but I still don't think I could make a bird that looked as good as yours! My dumfing is strictly limited to "abstract" creations!!

Unknown said...

Great tutorial - Thank you and the desk looks fab!

Pam said...

Your tutorial is great, not sure if I tried it it would turn out as beautiful as yours!!!! Hugs Pamx

Nine said...

I love your bird. Thanks for sharing

Kaz said...

Oh wow, thanks for the tute, that bird is just gorgeous xx

Andrea - Wales, UK said...

Wow... you make it look so easy - It's gorgeous!!

xx

The Crafty Goat Girl said...

You are clever, such a beautiful bird! Lots going on on your desk, its just fab! Thanks for sharing, hugs Heidi xx

Chrissie said...

Don't care about the state or otherwise of your room. This little bird is totally fab. What a clever Twiglet you are!
Stands back in admiration!
Chrissie

Kate said...

Thats bird is beautiful:0)
Kate x

Linby said...

the bird is sooo cute and the colours lovely. I saw the robin you did for Paula last night and that is beautiful too.
Linbyx

Claire said...

really love all your dumfing :)
x

minnie_mac said...

I was absolutely fascinated to see the little birdie take shape. It is so beautiful. You are indeed a very talented artist.

Marilyn x

Sue said...

Wow what great creations you make by dumphing!!! blimey bet you could do wonders with Brad!!! fab work space, Happy Crafting, Sue xx

Jen said...

Omg, I can't believe what wonderful creations you present to us every week at WOYWW - amazing!
Have a wonderful week.
Hugs
Jen x

ikki said...

Hi, You are so clever! It's amazing what you achieve and the tutorial is excellent. Well done. Enjoy your week. ikki x

BumbleVee said...

he's a wonderful little birdie.....thanks for showing how it's done...

Mummylade said...

wow, that bird is absolutely fantastic!

Nicki said...

Your little dumfed bullfinch is amazing, so clever!

Nicki, xx

Penni said...

I do find your dumfing fascinating.

Hugs
Penni
X

Anonymous said...

Wow, I love your bird, tis gorgeous. S xx

Spyder said...

ooh wow that was magic!! loved watching that litle bird suddenly appear, no, it' no good, you'll have to do a video on YouTube!!!

oh...I for got to look at your desk!!


(Lyn))

Sarah said...

Another gorgeous bird picture and a fab glimpse into how you create them - thanks

JoFY said...

great desk and work

Julia Dunnit said...

That desk isn't messy! And OMG the patience and skill, what a great insight Twiglet! I'm sorry to be on Thursday's list - but you didn't link at my place and so I'm now working through the 'missing links' as it were!

Mel said...

Wow your birds are just amazing and you have a fab workspace too ~ Mel

Handmade with Love said...

Oh wow that robin is so stunning and how you make it is so clever. Thanks for showing us how you creat such a master piece! Have a great week! Tracey x

Tonje said...

Wow! I am speachless! I had to show it to my husband as well and he agrees, it it totally awsome! Thank you for showing us how you did it, it helped a lot because I was totally lost on which technique it was. You are extremely talented!

salty pebble said...

awww thank you for your link- such a beautiful creation- love the birds- beautiful talent ;0)xx

Unknown said...

You make that look so easy, beautiful Bullfinch, thanks for sharing your great talent.
Christine x

craftyb said...

WOW...your bird looks stunning...it doesn't look too messy though...all nice and ordered and productive! bx

Jennie -The Artistic Stamper said...

wow! gorgeous :0 shall be trying one of those when I get time :)

mckinkle said...

OOOOH he is so handsome!

Such a beautiful picture and the colours are just perfect.

I think the penny is finally dropping on how you make these lil beauties! Better late than never!

Im just a bit backward when it comes to rovings! Is that the fluffy tufts of wool before it gets spun?

FAB tutorial, I thoroughly enjoyed the close up shots and reading all of your notes - Thanks!

Keryn x

Sue from Oregon said...

Well...I think your desk looks dandy compared to everything you have going on! Mine would be buried deep!

Minxy said...

WOW, thanks so much for sharing this project, i just recieved my clover brush thingy and am raring to go after seeing this

silverpebble said...

This is just simply beautiful. Wow.