Friday 16 September 2011

Baking, bag making and bonny frocks!

Just in case you have a few blackberries to spare - here is my suggestion for a weekend treat!

Blackberry & Coconut Squares
Good Food 101.........Cupcakes and small bakes

I collected a few more blackberries this week and made a few more jars of jam  the last lot went down well with friends and family!!)
The last few blackberries were used to make this scrummy tray bake.

Ingredients
250g SR Flour
25g oats
280g brown soft sugar
200g cold butter, cut into pieces
75g desiccated coconut
2 medium eggs, beaten
350g blackberries

  1. Oven 180/160 fan oven.
  2. Tip flour, sugar, oats into large bowl and rub butter into mixture until only pea-sized pieces remain.
  3. Stir in coconut and then reserve a cupful of this dry mix.
  4. Stir eggs into mixture in bowl and spread over lined 31cm x 17cm cake tin
  5. Smooth surface with spoon and then scatter over blackberries
  6. Scatter reserved cupful of dry mix over top of cake and bake in oven for 1hr until golden and cooked through.
  7. Leave to cool and then cut into squares.
Delicious! Makes a nice dessert with cream/ice cream or custard - especially if you have a few extra blackberries microwaved with a bit of sugar for a minute and then poured over the top!!!!!

Just for fun I made our little Dutch friend's toddler daughter a little bag to go with her new pinafore dress that I finished yesterday. Her mum gave us a fab felted wool cardy so I am chopping it up and making bags/ brooches and anything else I can think of.


And these are my latest little frocks......... all that and a visit to the theatre - never a dull moment here!
Have a fab weekend.
Thanks for popping by. x Jo

11 comments:

Annie said...

Hmmmm yum yum. That looks scrummy. Love the little bag and the latest dresses look so pretty.
Hugs,
A x

Tilly Tea Dance said...

Oooh looking forward to trying the cakes this weekend. Dead excited about a weekend of crafting :) x

Di said...

Yummy - need to send beloved OH off to one of his sports clubs complete with poly bags tomorrow to do some blackberrying :) And more gorgeous dresses - brilliant. The little bag is so cute too - do you ever sit down and rest Jo? I thought not!! Di xx

Carol said...

Lovely little bag and beautiful dresses.
Thank you for the traybake recipe, it looks delicious.
Carol xx

BumbleVee said...

omg...you gals wear me out.....just thinking of it all tires me out...hahhahahha

Fiona@Staring at the Sea said...

Ooh that tray bake looks yummy and the little bag is so sweet:)

Angie said...

I love tray bakes ...maybe I should start collecting recipes ...this one is right up my street xx

Di said...

I forgot to ask Len to look for some blackberries on Saturday - but just guess what he brought home anyway - what a clever forager he is! :)

Just printed your recipe off and will be making this later today.

Di xx

Jensters said...

Mmm i could eat some of those now, warm with ice cream...mouth watering...lol....lovely dresses x

mckinkle said...

Oooh Jo that tray bake looks absolutely scrummy! I can almost smell it from here!

What a week it has been for you all! I hope M's recovery continues at great speed so that you can all get on with being one big happy family!

More beautiful dresses Jo! Have to say I think my fav just has to be the lovely checked sunshine one!

Thinking of you all more than usual! And thanks also for that beautiful photo of Annie with her grandbabies, it is priceless!

Keryn x

Calico Kate said...

Oh I LOVE that little bag. And as for the dress words fail me...
CKx