Thursday 26 November 2009

How Roman blinds can lead to fun and laughter!

I made ten blinds for my house and since September I have made ten more for my daughter's home - so I guess, although I don't claim to be an expert, I have had plenty of practice!
Having mentioned this to an old school friend, she remarked that her son and his partner wanted blinds for their lounge. Being the kind hearted soul that I am, I offered to help her to make them.
Last week we went to measure up and yesterday we met up at her house to make them.
I have to say, that although we spent seven years at school together, we have only met infrequently over the years since I moved up to Yorkshire. Moving back to my "homelands" has enabled us to rekindle our friendship. Yesterday was proof that childhood friends are some of the best we ever make.
We arranged to meet in town, so that we could have a quick look round and a coffee, before heading back to start on the gorgeous fabric for the blinds.
The beige linen fabric with cream velour lilies scattered across it was already laid out on the lounge floor, ready for measuring and cutting. We chatted as we deliberated where to start, which lily would look best across the top etc. It was easy to agree and together we measured each blind and then cut them out, as well as the linings to go with them.
The time flew as we reminisced old times, friends and families. We laughed as we worked together, just as we had, as giggling school girls, all those years ago.
With our sewing machines set up on either side of the dining table, we sewed along, managing to get each blind half-finished before tea-time. Mrs Woodroffe, our old needlework teacher, would have been proud of us and indeed her name was mentioned more than once!
I will return next week hoping to find them all done and ready for us to pop over and hang.
It just made me think how good it is to share knowledge and expertise and what fun can be gained in doing so. (Of course having taught infants all my life I knew that already!)

5 comments:

Annie said...

Glad you had a lovely time. I will say that all the many blinds I've seen that you've made all look wonderful so I'm sure this will be no different :-) Days should all be full of fun and laughter :-)
A x

her at home said...

Wipso is right days should be full of fun and laugther and yours cetainly seem to be!

BumbleVee said...

my sister and I have a good laugh remembering old teachers too... especially our typing teacher Miss Swadling... and how we failed miserably at typing .. probably never did more than 10 words per minute...
Now, we say... eat dirt (well, we actually say something more vulgar, really... but for a comment on a proper lady's blog...I won't say it out loud) Miss Swadling !... see this? our fingers are a veritable blur baby!! we just needed some practice and nobody standing over us with that disapproving glare....

Friko said...

Is there no end to your talents?

Pondside said...

It sounds as though you had a very good time with your friend! That little sweater, transformed into a bag on you previous post is very sweet!